Now that the Super rugby season is in full swing I think it would only be fair to have a look at what’s on offer in the App world for the S15 rugby-head. For the purpose of this review I will take a look at three of the most popular free apps out there.
Basically all the apps provide fixture and results data, live match reporting with the standard analysis on tries, penalties, conversions and drop goals. However, when conducting my review I found it difficult to find apps that provide in-depth game analysis which I find rather frustrating considering data is widely available. Whilst watching a game live, there is a great opportunity to use your app, it would be good to know player and team stats at the micro level e.g. tackles made and meters gained per player.
Union Live 2012
Made by: Sportsmate Mobile Pty LTD
Australia’s number 1 live app which also has a version for the NRL and AFL. This app has the best team analysis with good historical data. Great for pre-game analysis between the two sides you are about to watch. I particularly like the player ages and match experience stats which is great if you like to put the odd wager on at the TAB.
- Enhanced match day engine providing faster live scores and live stats.
- Automatic live game day refresh.
- All new graphical worm.
- Improved ladder – including brief and extended overview plus teams next 5 games.
- Head to head analysis (the perfect tool for your tipping competition).
- Extended player profiles – including club & first grade debut, rep honours and previous year’s stats.
- Integrated news from Australian Associated Press (AAP).
- Integrated team video channels (via YouTube).
- Game day analysis – including team line-ups (ins and outs), form streaks, latest odds, weather and AAP match previews
Super Rugby 2012
Made by: Roopesh Govind
This is probably my least favourite app as it has limited analysis and is flaky in performance. My one accolade is that it is aesthetically nicer than the other apps when it’s working. The news section consists of straight RSS feeds from New Zealand Herald, Fox Sports Australia and Sport24 South Africa. Not bad but could be a lot better.
- Match Fixture
- Real time Live Score
- Real time score event
- Completed match scores
- Match schedule, team, venue
- Top sport news
- Team Ladder
Super Rugby Live Scoring
Made By: ESPN Australia
This is my favourite app by far. There is plenty of pre, during and post match analysis. Two of the main stats I like to look at are possession and territory and they aren’t included. Once again these stats are standard and widely available so I can’t understand why they are missing. Player stats include tries, conversions, drop goals, penalty goals, kicks, line breaks and errors. My only bug bear with this is that they are only updated after the game. This is also the only app with a live twitter feed. Great for hearing what the players are saying.
Instant score updates and scorers.
- The latest news, weather forecast, odds, winning streak and tipping trends for every game.
- The Super Rugby ladder and win/loss history for teams.
- The latest Super Rugby news from the major news outlets.
- The most up to date twitter posts from your favourite accounts.