We previously had a Vodafone pre-pay number for a basic mobile phone. Saw the advert that we could move the number to XT and join the current XT $19 pre-pay data plan for our unlocked iPhone.
Before we made the change, I had the iPhone operating with 3G turned off and it worked fine as a "normal" phone. All Internet access being done through Wifi. When the changeover was done, and the phone stopped working on Vodaphone, the sim swap was started.
To make the changeover, the XT sim was inserted into the iPhone, but it wouldn't connect. Phoned up Telecom and they got me to try and connect manually rather than letting the phone auto-detect the connection. During this, the phone asked for a code number to be entered. The Telecom person didn't know what that was and went away for 10 minutes to try and find out.
During that time, I remembered about the 3G being turned off, turned it on, and bingo, connection was made. Interestingly one of the first txt's we got from Telecom was to say we were now getting 500Mb data instead of the advertised 400Mb.
When the Telecom person came back, they told me that they couldn't find out why I was being asked for the code number, I told them I had solved the problem, they tested by calling the phone and it all works properly. Quite why it would have needed the 3G to be turned on to connect I don't know.
I commented that I might have expected 3G would not need to be turned on to connect the phone, but got told "you need 3G to connect to the Internet". Lucky I found out what the problem was myself methinks.
I'll give it a try again later and turn 3G off, power the phone off, then see if it will connect when powered up again.